Wednesday, August 19, 2026

As campaigns begin in Nigeria, Tinubu's re-election bid puts his party on trial

As campaigning for January's elections begins on Wednesday, President Bola Tinubu's pitch for a second term faces a politically fraught question: are Nigerians better off after more than a decade of rule by his ​All Progressives Congress?

The answer could shape the presidential contest against former Vice President Atiku Abubakar and Peter Obi, who have built their appeal on widespread frustration over economic hardship ‌and insecurity.
The main challengers argue the APC's nearly 12 years in power have left Africa's most populous country poorer, more indebted and no safer than when the party swept into office in 2015, then under the leadership of Muhammadu Buhari.


NEARLY 80% SAY NIGERIA HEADING IN WRONG DIRECTION

For Tinubu, nicknamed "T-Pain" by many Nigerians grappling with soaring living costs, the election will test whether voters are willing to endure short-term pain for the promise of longer-term gains.
So far, many appear unconvinced.
"The APC's tenure ​from 2015 to 2026 makes for unhappy reading and Tinubu's reforms have particularly brought severe pain," Cheta Nwanze, a partner at Nigeria-based risk advisory SBM Intelligence, said.

"Our voter tracker shows nearly ​80% of Nigerians say the country is headed in the wrong direction with 45% citing economic hardship and insecurity as their top concern."

Few Nigerian presidents have ⁠moved as quickly on economic policy as Tinubu. He scrapped a costly decades-old fuel subsidy and twice devalued the naira.

The reforms delivered changes long sought by investors and international lenders, but also unleashed a ​shock across households, fuelling protests and what many Nigerians describe as the worst cost-of-living crisis in a generation.

Tinubu has defended the measures as necessary to unwind years of state intervention. His government cites higher revenues and ​stronger investor interest as signs the reforms are working.
"Since 2023, our reforms have restored stability and credibility to economic management," he said during a recent broadcast.

Many voters, however, judge the economy less by macroeconomic gains than by the cost of putting food on the table.


'I USED TO SELL SIX GOATS A DAY'

At Abuja's Garki market, butcher Abdullahi Sani said soaring costs had crushed demand.

"Five years ago, I used to sell six goats a day. Now I struggle to sell two, ​sometimes just one," he told Reuters. "It is difficult to make a profit and feed my family."

The gap between improving economic indicators and worsening household finances is likely to define the campaign.

Tinubu's challenge is compounded ​by the risk that voters will not only judge him on his own record. They will also be looking back at his predecessor's legacy.

He inherited an economy moulded by Buhari, whom he helped propel to power. Buhari's interventionist agenda ‌included import ⁠curbs, currency controls, border closures and a fuel subsidy that cost the government $10 billion in 2022 alone.

"The inequality gap between the haves and those that do not have is increasing," Sulaimon Arigbadu, executive secretary of HEDA Resource Centre, said.

Living standards have also deteriorated. GDP per capita fell 53% to $1,224 currently from $2,586 in 2015, World Bank data show, highlighting a decade-long erosion of household prosperity.

The legacy is evident in Nigeria's swelling debt burden which rose more than 12-fold to 159.35 trillion naira ($117.34 billion) by March 2026 from 12.6 trillion naira at end-2015, official data shows.

Debt-service costs are forecast at $11.6 billion this year, almost half of projected revenue and more ​than twice the 2025 bill of $5.15 billion.

If the economy ​is Tinubu's biggest hurdle, security could prove ⁠his most damaging liability.
The government says military operations have curbed attacks, made roads safer and allowed more farmers to return to their fields.


ELECTION ABOUT SURVIVAL, SECURITY AND FOOD

Yet violence remains widespread. Amnesty International says at least 10,217 people have been killed by armed groups and around 15 mass abductions of schoolchildren have been ​recorded since Tinubu took office.
Critics say threats have evolved rather than receded, with banditry widespread in the northwest, separatist unrest in the southeast and kidnappings for ​ransom now pervasive.

"For ordinary Nigerians, ⁠this election is fundamentally about survival, security ... whether families can afford food, whether farmers can safely return to their farms," Auwal Musa Rafsanjani, head of CISLAC/Transparency International Nigeria, said.

The APC swept to power more than a decade ago pledging to defeat Islamist insurgents, curb corruption, and revive an economy hit by low oil prices. Instead, Nigeria slipped into its first recession in 25 years under Buhari, while inflation hit record highs above 33% and growth remained ⁠sluggish.

Tinubu enters ​the election campaign weighed down by his record and his party's, with the opposition arguing that after more than a decade ​in power, only results now matter.

For many voters, the election may hinge on whether life is safer and more affordable now than when the APC first promised change in 2015.

"The data tells us the odds are against Tinubu and the only way back ​is low voter turnout on election day," Nwanze said. "However, the opposition remains disunited, which historically have favoured the incumbent."

By Elisha Bala-Gbogbo and Camillus Eboh, Reuters

Meta Unveils AI Academy Nigeria with $10,000 Funding for Two Startups

Meta has launched the Meta AI Academy Nigeria, a national initiative aimed at supporting Nigerian startups developing artificial intelligence-powered solutions.

The programme is being delivered in collaboration with Nigeria’s 3 Million Technical Talent (3MTT) programme, the National Centre for Artificial Intelligence and Robotics (NCAIR) under the Federal Ministry of Communications, Innovation and Digital Economy, and Robotics and Artificial Intelligence Nigeria (RAIN).

As part of the initiative, Nigerian startups building with AI are being invited to submit their solutions for consideration and pitching.

The top 10 submissions will be selected to pitch their solutions live at GITEX Nigeria on September 3, 2026.

Following the pitch competition, two winning startups will each receive $5,000 in cash funding, Meta advertising credits and an all-expenses-paid opportunity to compete against startups from Africa, the Middle East and Türkiye at the AI Summit by Meta in Istanbul in November 2026.

The initiative is positioned to provide Nigerian AI startups with funding, visibility and opportunities to connect with a wider regional and international innovation ecosystem.

Tuesday, August 18, 2026

Dangote Refinery secures $1 billion underwriting ahead of IPO

 

Nigeria's Dangote Refinery has secured ‌a $1 billion underwriting programme for its planned stock market listing that could become Africa's largest IPO, marking a major step toward bringing the continent's biggest refinery to investors.

The underwriting comprises a fully funded $600 million tranche for the refinery's completed private placement and ​a further $400 million commitment to support the planned initial public offering, the deal's co-financial advisers Marob ​Strategies and Lilium Capital said on Tuesday.

Dubai-based advisory firm Marob and Washington-based investment group ⁠Lilium said it was implemented through Pan-African Refinery Investment, a special purpose vehicle and subsidiary of Lilium.

In ​IPO transactions, underwriting is a service offered by capital firms and investment banks to a company to guarantee ​the sale of its shares to investors.

Majority-owned by Africa's richest man Aliko Dangote, the refinery has submitted an application for a $5 billion IPO to Nigeria's Securities and Exchange Commission, a source familiar with the matter told Reuters two weeks ago, although ​the final size of the offering has yet to be determined.

"The successful completion of the private placement, together ​with the $400 million underwriting commitment ... in support of the planned IPO, reflects confidence in the refinery's strategic role," Aliko Dangote ‌said ⁠in the joint statement.

OCTOBER LISTING

The $20 billion facility near Lagos, which processes about 700,000 barrels of crude a day, has emerged as a major beneficiary of supply disruptions linked to the Iran war,exporting jet fuel across Africa and into Europe as buyers sought alternative supplies.

That has sparked widespread interest in the sale of shares in the ​plant, African market participants say.
The $400 ​million underwriting commitment would ⁠be implemented upon the launch of the IPO, subject to market conditions and regulatory approvals, Marob and Lilium said.

The public offering is expected to receive regulatory approval ​in the coming weeks and to list on the Nigerian market in October, ​with other ⁠African capital markets also involved.

Investors have responded strongly to the deal, the advisers said, citing African and Caribbean sovereign wealth funds, governments, institutional investors and other eligible investors.

"It is expected to help deepen African capital markets, broaden ownership ⁠of a ​strategic African enterprise and demonstrate how African institutions can mobilise ​long-term capital for industrialisation," the advisers added.

Dangote is also planning to build a new refinery along Kenya's coast, together with East African governments.

By Chijioke Ohuocha and Duncan Miriri, Reuters

Nigeria legend Jay-Jay Okocha picks Lionel Messi over Cristiano Ronaldo in GOAT debate


 






Weighing in on the GOAT debate

The long-standing debate between Messi and Ronaldo has captured the imagination of supporters and legends alike for nearly two decades. Few players understand individual brilliance quite like former Nigeria international Okocha, renowned for his own effortless flair during spells with Paris Saint-Germain and Bolton Wanderers.

Speaking on The Obi One Podcast alongside John Obi Mikel and Chris McHardy, the former Super Eagles captain was asked to settle the rivalry. Without hesitation, Okocha delivered a definitive verdict siding with the Argentine maestro.


Artistic genius versus elite goalscoring

While acknowledging Cristiano Ronaldo's exceptional achievements, Okocha drew a sharp distinction between the Portuguese forward's lethal efficiency and Messi's pure artistry. The Nigerian icon compared Ronaldo's prolific nature to other elite penalty-box operators.

"Messi, Messi. Ronaldo is a special player, but he is for me a goal scorer. He can score 10 million goals. He is a goal scorer. It's like (Erling) Haaland. Haaland is a goal scorer," Okocha explained.


The natural gift of Messi

Expanding on his assessment, Okocha pointed to Messi's innate connection with the ball as the ultimate differentiator between the two modern greats. He emphasized that the Argentine forward plays with an effortless grace that separates him from hard-earned athletic success.

"But Messi, Messi is on another planet. Messi is an art. Messi was born to play football. He'll get ill if he doesn't play football. He's a genius. I mean, you have to give it to him," Okocha added.


Legacy and future perspectives

Okocha's insights underline how elite playmakers view the game, valuing intrinsic creativity and freedom of expression above sheer numerical output. Both Messi and Ronaldo continue to define the modern era, but opinions from iconic figures like Okocha keep the debate fiercely alive.

As both legends write the final chapters of their storied careers, evaluations from former greats offer a unique lens on their enduring impact. Fans across the globe will continue to debate their legacies for generations to come.

By Alvino Hanafi, Goal.com

U.S. Lifts Decade-Old Security Restrictions on Ships Arriving From Nigeria

The United States has lifted security restrictions imposed on vessels arriving from Nigeria after more than a decade, the Marine and Blue economy Minister Adegboyega Oyetola said on Tuesday, in a move expected to cut shipping costs and boost the competitiveness of Nigerian ports.

The restrictions, known as Conditions of Entry (CoE), were introduced by the U.S. Coast Guard in June 2014 and required vessels bound for the United States that had recently called at certain Nigerian ports to comply with additional security measures and undergo enhanced scrutiny before entering U.S. waters.

The Coast Guard said Nigerian ports did not maintain effective anti-terrorism measures, citing deficiencies in the country’s legal framework, oversight by its designated maritime security authority, access control and cargo handling procedures.

Oyetola said the decision followed improvements in the maritime security framework and compliance with the International Ship and Port Facility Security Code. U.S. authorities could not be immediately reached for comment.


The lifting of the restrictions means vessels calling at Nigerian ports before sailing to the United States will no longer be subject to the additional security requirements imposed under the program.

Oyetola said the move would help improve vessel turnaround times, enhance schedule reliability and make Nigerian ports more attractive to international shipping lines.

The U.S. Coast Guard conducted four assessments of Nigeria’s maritime security systems and port facilities between March 2024 and April 2026, the Nigerian Maritime Administration and Safety Agency said.

Industry participants had long argued that the restrictions increased operating costs through additional inspections, documentation requirements and security procedures, while contributing to delays, higher freight rates and increased insurance costs.

By Chijioke Ohuocha, Reuters